Friday, June 19, 2015

Camping with IC!



          This past week I was able to have some fun with my friends and all our kids camping for the night at a camp ground close by.  Even though I did not sleep at all well on the hard floor of the tent with my six year old son squirming around like an octopus and our family dog, who is almost as big as my five foot four height, moving around every few minutes it was a great time.  

         The only concern for me was again the food.  Most people think of camping and they think the following: 
  • Burgers
  • Hot Dogs
  • Foil Meals
  • BBQ
  • Corn on the Cob
  • Smores
         I can deal with protein, veggies and even which starch I can consume....desserts on the other hand are my Achilles heel.  I was able to prepare chopped up cucumber, mild cheddar cheese and small packets of tuna as my main meals.  

         I prepared to be tempted by the smores on an epic level and I admit I came very close to having one.  My best friend was a beacon of seriousness and helped me stay strong.  I decided on a compromise and ate just a yummy crispy marshmallow out of the camp fire.  

          I knew having time outdoors would limit the amount of water I drank over the course of the day/night and it could cause problems, especially in the hot weather we have been having recently.  Usually I drink around 92 oz of water per day and camping limits that amount as it is either not accessible or it would take way too many bottles to carry around.  I was able to drink about half that amount but I did suffer a little because of my low amount.  

          Over the course of finding out about my condition I have found out about a few products that are over the counter which can help with the symptoms.  The one I have tried and had success with, especially while camping, is called Uricalm.  I was able to find it at the local store and did not need a prescription for it.  It is meant to calm the feeling of needing to go and the pain when you pee.  

          Overall my trip was a great experience and I learned a lot about what I can take to help ease my symptoms and also what foods I can take along with me on trips that enable me to release the stress of others having to prepare separate portions for me.  

          #AlwaysKeepFighting

No comments:

Post a Comment