Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Emergency Preparedness and IC!

Are you prepared?

      I consider myself to be pretty prepared for any type of emergency that can arise.  And by emergency I am talking about floods, fire, storms and earthquakes.  Now I am not saying that all my preparing is perfect and that I still do not have things to work out but I feel very confident in what I have got done already.  That being said I realized something in the passed month. 
      What happens when the emergency arrives and you have a condition, like IC?  Or any condition for that matter? 
       As part of my preparedness canned goods and food storage are a big part of it, yet I realized with my condition most of it I will not be able to eat if there was something going on.  
       I was in shock and honesty a little angry.  
       I had gone to all the trouble of making sure I was prepared only to realize that I had not included my condition in my planning.  This will undoubtedly make the preparing harder, yet I am willing to research and see what I can do to help myself as well as my family.  
      Here are a few steps I have taken already to resolve the situation: 
  • I buy a package of Uricalm, a medicine to help with the symptoms, at least once or twice a month.  This ensures I have a good supply on hand at all times so if a situation does come up I have at least some relief from eating questionable foods. 
  • As I find food I can eat, food lists are created so that I can keep track.  This enables me to purchase dehydrated items/food storage that I will be able to consume with my family in an emergency situation. 
  • Water is a huge staple when it comes to food storage/preparedness and I have to admit so far this is where my stock fails.  As part of my new planning strategy I am hoping to have a good supply available to us at all times.  Right now I drink around 90 oz of water per day and if you include what the family drinks the amount can rack up very quickly.  In an emergency I would not be able to drink as much due to rationing but still the amount we would need is crazy if you do not stock up.  

         These are just a few ways I have found to prepare while having a condition.  Now I am lucky in the fact that the medicine that works for me on flare ups is something I do not need a prescription for.  For those of you that need a prescription it will be harder in an emergency situation.  Yet there is always something you can do.  
          I believe that situations are made hard so that we can come out the other side stronger than ever before and I know having the knowledge/planning ahead will help us a lot if something should happen.  
          Now I know that people read about being prepared and think I am not going out and buying tons of flour, sugar and other things it will cost a fortune.  That is true but only if you do it all at once.  The stock of canned goods and food storage I have has been slowly gathered over the course of years and honestly I started by simply adding one can extra each time we would do a grocery run.  Say you need 2 cans of Carrots, or whatever your family likes, instead of buying just the 2 you get 3.  You will be amazed how fast your collection grows.  
          No matter what situation may hit our area/you or your family it is always good to have a plan in place.  It is never too late to start the planning process. 
          
          #AlwaysKeepFighting

       Alison  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment