Friday, April 22, 2016

One Year Anniversary! I survived!



              One Year Anniversary!   I Survived! 

        Looking back at the first post I made on this blog a year ago a few things strike me. First, I was clearly out of my element.  Forced from a lifestyle I had experienced my entire life and thrust into a new one without warning.  Second, I was completely and utterly terrified about what it meant for me.  Could I really survive without soda or chocolate For The Rest Of My Life?  Third, the complete relief I felt when they finally discovered what was causing my pain and that the symptoms could at least be controlled, for the most part.  
            I get emotional just thinking about those first few days a year ago.  Before the official diagnosis I had become a person, I quite frankly, hated.  A person who had been pulled into a bottomless pit of pain, misery and depression.  
             Who was that crazy person?
             Couldn't really be me?
             My heart physically aches for that person who suffered for almost two years with no knowledge of what the problem was and how it could ever be fixed.  I will never be able to explain in words what a relief it was, and also terrifying, to find out that I had IC.  
             Basically I'm glad that person is no longer around and that I can type this blog to you, a year later, with a new attitude, a new appreciation for life and a new lifestyle that makes me a little healthier and honestly happier than I was before.  
             So Alison, you ask, what have you learned during your year long journey?  
             Do you have the wisdom of ages?
             Have you cracked the IC code for living without pain?
             Honestly, I do not feel I have mastered my condition, yet I am dealing with it as best as I can on a day to day basis.  No, I have not cracked a secret code to making living with IC hardly a concern.  But for our condition there is no code as each one of us is effected differently...sad but true.  
             Now on the other hand I do feel I have learned a lot about my condition, the human body in general and also myself during this year.  Here is a few things I have learned: 
  • A positive attitude goes a long long way.  During the first few weeks of my diagnosis I had to keep a positive attitude, more so than usual, as I face was a lot of circumstances I was not prepared for and never knew I would get into.  As corny as it sounds being positive helped a lot and I was able to tackle things easier with the attitude of I can do this. 
  • Planning is key to success, especially with a condition like mine where food plays a factor.  Planning out meals is a great way to get a head during the week and relives some of the stress that comes with flare ups and unknown situations. 
  • Flare ups will occur.  Our condition is chronic and there is no cure.  No matter how great of a day I have sooner or later a bad one will raise its ugly head.  I have learnt that being afraid of a 'bad' day can ruin my good and great days, so now I refuse to let fear hold me back. 
  • It's nothing to be embarrassed or shy about.  It took some time but I have reached the point in my diagnosis that I am not afraid, embarrassed or shy about asking questions about how the food is prepared when we go to a restaurant.   For me this one is huge as I do not like 'inconveniencing people with 'special' requests, but since my condition came to light I really have no choice.  Its either face the prospect of pain or speak up and have them prepare the food as I need to be.  
  • Having a support system is important, but ultimately it comes down to me.  Its great having support, especially in the early days of my diagnosis and during any particularly bad flare up.  However I have come to realize that life goes on whether I'm having a great day or a terrible one.  Ultimately it really comes down to me.  If I am able to work through the pain and deal with it, then the day goes on.  If it turns out to be a really bad day, I am so thankful for an understanding husband and children who help take care of me.  
  • All the previous blog posts.  Not in the slightest a way to get everyone to read all the posts I have made in the last year, but everything I have written down has taught me something during this journey.  From my first post to this one I really have grown as person through this experience and I am sure I will continue to do so as my journey continues.  
         So in a nutshell I made it.  My one year mark.  Its so crazy to think that that soda loving, chocolate addict I once was is now the still addicted to sugar but living a better life person I am today.  I never thought in a million years that I would be able to give up chocolate or soda.  In fact I remember saying to my husband at one time I would only be able to do so if I had some kind of medical condition that would force me too...well, how is that for eating my own words.  :)   
        Part one of my journey has ended but there should be a lot more to come.  
      
        #Oneyear  
        #Alwayskeepfighting
        #Youarenotalone
        #Wegotthis   

No comments:

Post a Comment