Sunday, April 26, 2015

Snacking and Shopping!


Snacking & Shopping!

   I do not know about other people but I have noticed a couple of things since last week in regards to my condition and the dietary change that has ensued.  One of the main things is that once I put the kids to bed at night I am just dying for a sugary snack or soda.

  I have not yet been able to figure out why this is, but I have been able to find small ways to help the craving.  I am listing them for you: 

  • Celery - I am not a huge fan of celery as I think its tasteless and chewy, but having that extra crunch goes a long way.  I also apply a bit of peanut butter which helps in the taste. 
  • Sugar free gum - Can you say lifesaver?  Being huge on chocolate and candy, gum is a great way to help those cravings go bye bye.  
  • Fruit - Having IC makes eating fruit a little more complicated, yet having a supply of banana's or whichever one works for you on hand will help your cravings when the sun goes down.  
  • Referring to a reliable source for snack information - I am using this website to help me work out which food works for me and which do not.  (copy & paste link or simply go to www.ic-diet.com and click on IC Diet List)
         http://www.ic-diet.com/IC%20Diet%20and%20Food%20List.html


   With my suggestions you may notice a common theme.  Planning.  Unless you are super healthy, really like vegetables or already plan out your meals and snacks having these things on hand is unlikely.  I have tried for years to plan meals and have healthier snacks available.  It just has not worked out.  

  Want to know the secret as to why? 

  For me Laziness.  Pure and simple.  

  Planning meals is hard enough when you have a family of four, especially when everyone is very vocal about things they like and do not like.  Now let's throw in the fact that the hubby wants to cut back on carbs for summer and I have IC.

  Yeah, my first reaction was someone shot me now and put me out of my misery.

  Then an easy solution came to me.  I have a great resource, the website above, and since I do not know for sure all my triggers its always going to be a trail and error type situation.  I can roll with this.

  So today was round two of grocery shopping and it was a lot easier this time to avoid the sugary yummy stuff and stay near the vegetables.  Here was what I did: 

  • Step One: On my shopping list I wrote Veggies - See list.
    When I reached the fresh stuff at the store, immediately, I pulled out my phone and checked the list online against what was on sale.  (If you do not have good interest while away from home I would recommend printing off the page)
  • Step Two:  Knowing 100% what the kids and hubby will eat so nothing will be wasted.  I feel this is huge as I hate throwing away food because its old and not eaten.  Also vegetables can be hidden in recipes so if they do not like a specific veg try finding a recipe that disguises it.  
  • Step Three:  Try thinking of recipes as you are viewing the vegetables or have a pre-made list of recipes you want to try.
    This helped me a lot this time around as before I even picked up anything I was thinking what protein would work with which vegetable.  
  • Step Four:  Don't be afraid to try new things.
    This may be against rule two but trust me knowing we're limited now to what we can eat trying knew things is almost a given.  
  • Step Five:  Once you've picked the vegetables, choose your proteins and what kind of carb you want to us.  
    Your recipe is finally taking shape and if you've done this correctly you should have already thought of at least four or five dishes to make/try.  
  
 ***Update.  This entry was made Friday and now we're on Sunday.  The recipes I made after have been a huge help to me.  I've been able to make really good meals and use the protein just as I wanted so the age old discussion of what's for dinner did not occur.
  The kids now love asparagus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment