Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Week One!


Week One!

   It has been a week since my diagnosis and life has been going a lot better, but slowly.  Here are some things that I changed immediately after my doctor appointment last week: 
  • Cut out all soda.
  • Cut out all candy and chocolate. 
  • Change my fruit a day to bananas, instead of oranges. 
  For me changing the fruit I eat every day was hard because I love oranges.  Luckily I also have a soft spot for bananas so it was not the hardest blow and almost a quick solution.  

  Soda on the other hand, not so much.  

  Unlike most people I actually really like drinking water, but usually after I have already consumed 44 oz of diet soda or more.  Diet Dr Pepper is my weakness.  I admit it.  If it came down to suffering pain or having a soda, without a doubt I would reach for the soda.  Then the doctor said until we have my condition under control I should just avoid it.

  I honestly heard the words but it did not register.  As I sat in my car thinking about all the things that she had said I knew this would be one of the hardest.  I pulled out of the parking lot and drove towards the house, then passed the gas station.  It was not until I saw the gas station that my heart fell into the ground.
  I faced the situation that I thought would be no problem at all and I was stumped.
  Have a soda and suffer pain...again...or drive home without stopping and pretend gas stations do not exist for a while.  I freely admit that it took me almost a minute to think it through and then drove passed without looking back. 

  Now, anyone who knows me will understand soda is a huge problem for me, but nothing, nothing, compared to my love of sugar.  My family and friends know how insanely difficult it will be for me to give up something that I have to have.  
  People always joke about being addicted to sugar.  Well for me its not funny in the slightest.  
  My name is Alison and I am an addict.
  I am an honest person and will readily say that over the course of 24 hours in the past, I have eaten, two large bags of Caburys mini eggs and five creme eggs.  Not even 24 hours...more like 4 hours.  

  This first week had one challenge for me that I was super concerned about.
  The weekly grocery trip.
  On a regular grocery shopping trip I would pick up several chocolate bars, maybe a soda drink or cans, plus chips or cookies or anything that caught my attention.  I was spending around $250 on average with at least $50 of extra stuff that was either not needed or sugar that was not needed.
  I am some what proud to say that during this shopping trip I took some advice from online, that said at the store stay on the outside, as all the crap is in the middle.  I not only managed to avoid buying any sugary, yummy stuff but also cut our bill down by almost $100.

  The meals I have made this week have been touch and go.  I worked out that for now Ranch is a no go, white sauced pizza is a no go and small portions of Rice Pudding are all right, but more than two servings is bad.  (Sugar addiction coming into play there)

  To get my IC under control it is not all about diet right now.

   I have to have at least 8 total procedures, that they call a Bladder Wash.  Its not as scary as it sounds.  Basically they just insert a catheter, drain the bladder of pee and then, using the catheter, put a solution back in that you hold for around an hour to help ease your symptoms.
  Again my honesty can not let me say that it is not uncomfortable but that is what happens when you have a constantly inflamed bladder.  The only advice I can give is just once you have experienced the first time the next time is not so bad because you know what to expect.  Just take a deep breathe and remember its for your own good.
  So far I have had two of these procedures.

  The hardest thing I am noticing about this condition is that there are not many websites or information about recipes since every one is different and can react to different things.  The second website I included in my first post has been a great help to me as it lists a good starting point for bladder friendly foods that can be combined into a decent recipe.  I will try some and post my results at a later time.

  Thank you for joining me in week one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment